---RELOCATED---
Further content can be found at http://www.shellshockedsculling.wordpress.com/

Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Thank you Opens 2007/2008...

I lost it a bit on Saturday... I wasn't angry that we didn't make an A Final in the double and it was quite an effort to keep my chin up going into the quad racing on Sunday.

In the grand scheme of things, I see now that I did the best that I could have done - the girls got off the water and there were no harsh word or 'what ifs'... only an quiet disappointment from the girls and a whole lot of soul searching in the beer tent for me. I know of other crews that got off the water and were ripped to shreds by their coaches for not performing - was that a good move with the important racing still to come and the athlete's nerves a bit frayed? We ended up winning the B Final and going home a bit dejected, but ever positive about the big one the following day.

It always amazes me how the troubles of the past are washed away with just one good performance. The girls blasted through to a silver medal in the A Final of the quad on Sunday - and all was forgotten and forgiven. All of the seemingly wierd and counter-productive things I had been doing in the past became genius and I caught a glimpse then of what Jake White must have felt like as he held aloft the Rugby World Cup Webb Ellis Trophy.

There are a great many thank you's that need to be said after a long and testing season. If I've left anyone out, know that I will always remember every single person that made the 2007/2008 season what it was and everyone who taught me some valuable lessons along the way.

Cayley (the quiet one), Dan (for enjoying the sport for what it is, not what you can get out of it), Faye (bubbly), Kris (love the eyes), Kel (for smiling almost 24/7), Ashley (my voice of reason), Minx (still full of shit, but I love it), Aimee (sorry about yr last race, we missed you), Urshula (maintenance-lady), Gen (quiet but crazy - can put a 400kg boat and crew through the eye of a needle), Jess (you worked hard... and it paid off), Lisa (you taught me alot - thank you), Bianca (Plan B!), Alex (keep smiling - you're the one who'll miss this sport the most - and for the right reasons. Thanks for the support), Abby (no hard feelings),Bronwyn (my favourite Swede - I've never seen anyone push so hard), Phil (my fellow cat-lover), Jani (keen as hell and the most infectious laugh), Claire (good luck for squad), Jomi (you give ginger kid's alot of street cred), Courtney (see? short kids can do amazing things! to me, yr 6ft tall!) and Amy (you've achieved almost exactly, if not more, than what Jo did... and you lived yr dream).

Sue & Greg (you're finally free!), Dave & Anne (you're to blame for that extra speed!), Clive, Derek, Willem, Marie, Arthur & Barbara, Wayne & Jackie and all of the parents and the committee - this club is what it is and where it is because of you.

Matt H (you helped me through a whole lot and stood by me more than you had to - thank you), Nic (you're gonna be an awesome coach), BJ (one of the best and passionate coaches I've ever met) , Meri (my cuddle-buddy), Steve (the Steveniski 17 help a whole lot!), Maxine (my arms still hurt), Marco (well friggin done mate!), Vicky (we fought less this season sis... I think we're growing up!) and John (a 5-star chef and 5-star friend - you had a bigger part to play in this than you think bud - thank you).

Next season's a few months away... and we've set ourselves up for a good one. But for now... we can all sit back, relax, have a social life and forget about the sport that drives us crazy for 6 months of the year.

No comments: